How often do you do a self-check of your emotional well-being? Do you put as much emphasis on your emotional wellness as you do your physical wellness? For the majority of people, the answer is no. We all tend to put our emotional wellbeing on the back burner. If you cut yourself, you put a band-aid on, if you feel under the weather, you go to the doctor. However, so often, when we are feeling emotionally drained we do nothing. Your emotional well-being is just as important as your physical well-being, some would say even more. Being aware of what you are feeling can help you channel those emotions. Achieving emotional balance leads to all around better health.
Achieving Emotional Wellness Balance
Here are a few ways to become emotionally balanced:
1. Manage Stress. Stress can damage both your physical and emotional well-being. Find an outlet to manage your stress. For some, physical activity such as walking, biking, running are ways to alleviate daily stress. Others use mindfulness techniques, journaling, or reading to help manage their stress levels.
2. Seek balance. We are often pulled in many different directions every day. Maintain a healthy balance when setting goals and responsibilities. Don’t over commit. Being overwhelmed hinders focus and productivity, which leads to burn-out. Most importantly set aside time for yourself.
3. Get enough sleep. Sleep is the foundation for maintaining both physical and emotional health. It allows your body time to rejuvenate!
Why is it so important to be emotionally healthy?
People with good emotional health:
• Maintain a healthy balance between leisure time, family, and work
• Feel good about them
• Are able to accept change
• Enjoy life
• Have less stress, and are better equipped to deal with stress
• Maintain healthy relationships
• Are content with their lives