How STARS’ Services work with young people who are deaf or hard of hearing and their families holistically to address such issues as literacy (ASL), language, connection & community, and education surrounding deaf culture.
Services for Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing (DHH) is a program of STARS designed to prevent the use of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs among deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals from kindergarten through early adulthood.
These students are naturally at a higher risk for drug and alcohol misuse because of their increased difficulties with communication, isolation, depression, learning and family connections.
• In-School Drug and Alcohol Prevention/Character Education Classes: Weekly classes that are designed to help the students develop:
- strong social coping skills
- understand and identify feelings
- anger management
- improving self-esteem
- decision making
- team building
- healthy relationships
- and information on drugs and alcohol
Services provided in Metro Nashville Public Schools-Eakin Elementary, West End Middle, Hillsboro High School, and Brentwood Baptist Deaf Church Camp SummerSign
• In-School Literacy Support: Individual weekly sessions with students focus on:
- improving reading comprehension
- writing skills
- sign language proficiency
- bridging multiple-meaning words
- and conceptual signing of topics and items translating from English to American Sign Language
Services provided in Metro Nashville Public Schools- Eakin Elementary, West End Middle, Hillsboro High School.
• In-Home Services: Offer families of deaf and hard of hearing students individual help with learning American Sign Language, counseling, and referrals.
• Individual Career Planning Services: Individual support for students transitioning out of high school, services include:
- Interest testing
- researching and applying to colleges
- connecting with VR
- completing the FASFA
- job and interviewing skills
Services provided in Metro Nashville Public Schools- Hillsboro High School.
• Summer Camp: STARS offers support services to Brentwood Baptist Deaf Church-Camp SummerSign. Services include:
- Full-time staff
- character education classes
- team building
- and creative dance
Special thanks to all our collaborative partners and referral sources for their hard work and dedication to those served:
- Brentwood Baptist Deaf Church
- Library Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Metro Nashville Public Schools
- Sign Club Co.
- The Link
Our award-winning services have received national and local attention, including the Prevention & Education Meritorious Award from the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, and the Health Care Provider Award by the Mayor’s Advisory Committee for People with Disabilities.