- Collaborate in building a learning community that is safe and nurturing for all students and adults in classrooms and the school as a whole.
- Provide developmental approach to conflict management and social/emotional literacy to improve efficacy in social and emotional skills.
- Develop and work with a site-based management team.
- Institutionalize the principles of the Partners Inc. program.
- Build internal capacity and external networks for the continuation and expansion of the program
Conflict Resolution and Communication
Conflict is a normal and essential part of life. Even if we develop skills to deal with it, conflict will continue to exist.
The way we deal with the differences and conflict, however, often divides us, and inhibits our ability to confront common problems. Complex social issues and increasing global interdependence place new demands on our capacities to work together. How we deal with conflict can also unite us and solve problems.
Many young people are not learning to deal constructively with differences that they face daily. They see few alternatives to either fleeing from conflict or fighting.
Violence and bullying have become social problems of epidemic proportions that especially affect young people. The messages that society conveys about violence are at best confusing, and often encourage violence. Many young people do not believe that they can make a difference and improve the world in which they live.
Partners Inc. believes that with practice, we can all become better and better at resolving and/or managing conflict. We are not born problem solvers. But we can learn these skills and grow in our use of them.
The goals of Partners Inc.’s Conflict resolution focus is to help staff and students:
- Be able to apply key conflict resolution concepts and skills to their professional lives
- Understand different approaches to incorporating conflict resolution education into their classrooms
- Be able to use a variety of different conflict resolution teaching strategies and activities
- Develop a classroom and whole school plan for teaching conflict resolution skills to students
Throughout the process, Partners Inc. staff invites teachers and administrators to think about the prevailing norms of teaching and learning in their schools, and encourages teachers to be “reflective practitioners” who evaluate and adjust their practices and strengthen their skills to facilitate healthy social and emotional development without giving up high standards. Partners Inc. provides the all-important time to step outside of their daily duties to reflect, building both the individual and the community.