ALIAS Chamber Ensemble 2013-2014 Season
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
ALIAS’ opening concert features music by four living American composers, including three women: Pulitzer Prize winning Caroline Shaw (2013) and Jennifer Higdon (2010); Kenji Bunch, whose music ALIAS has championed and recorded for years; and Guggenheim Fellow Margaret Brouwer. Adding a bit of contrast is an early Baroque sonata by ancient Italian master Giovanni Pandolfi.
• Kenji Bunch Suite for viola and piano (1998)
• Caroline Shaw “Cantico delle creature” (2013, World Premiere)
• Giovanni Antonio Pandolfi Mealli Sonatas for violin and continiuo (1660)
• Jennifer Higdon “An Exaltation of Larks” for string quartet (2005)
• Margaret Brouwer “Demeter Prelude” for string quartet (1997)
• Nonprofit Partner: Better Decisions
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
ALIAS’ Winter Concert unveils the ensemble’s project of presenting works by Paul Moravec, beginning with his “Tempest Fantasy”, which won the 2004 Pulitzer Prize. ALIAS will record this and other of Moravec’s works on a disc that will be released in Fall 2014 on the Delos label. Works by Ginastera, Debussy, and young American composer Piotr Szewczyk round out this eclectic program.
• Piotr Szewczyk “Twisted Dances” for oboe, violin, cello and piano (2012)
• Alberto Ginastera String Quartet No. 2 (1968)
• Claude Debussy Trio for flute, viola, and harp (1915)
• Paul Moravec Tempest Fantasy for clarinet, violin, cello and piano (2002)
• Nonprofit Partner: The Contributor
Wednesday, May 7, 2014
Continuing the roll-out of its recording project, ALIAS teams up with Nashville vocal ensemble Portara to present two more of Paul Moravec’s works: Sacred Love Songs, and the World Premiere of “Amorisms”, which has been commissioned by ALIAS, Portara, and the Nashville Ballet. Also on the program are a trio by Maurice Ravel and works by Douglas Hill and ALIAS cellist Matt Walker, both influenced by American folk/pop idioms.
• Maurice Ravel Sonatine en Trio for flute, cello, and harp (1905)
• Douglas Hill “A Set of Songs and Dances” for clarinet, horn, vibraphone, and bass (2006)
• Paul Moravec Sacred Love Songs for clarinet, violin, cello and piano (2012)
• Matt Walker “Grooves” for string quartet (2013)
• Paul Moravec “Amorisms” for clarinet, string quartet and SATBB voices (2014, World Premiere)
• Nonprofit Partner: Students Taking a Right Stand (STARS)
February 14-16, 2014
“Attitude” series with the Nashville Ballet, where ALIAS will perform Kevin Puts’ “And Legions will Rise” for clarinet, violin and marimba.
May 29-31, 2014
“Emergence” with the Nashville Ballet and Portara, featuring all the Moravec works on the CD